Sunday, March 09, 2008

Beneath the Ginkgo Tree (poster & prose)



Beneath the Ginkgo Tree

By Matthew Reedy

Fleeting thoughts, memories that linger
Beneath the Ginkgo Tree, I dream

Like leaves that softly sail & stray
I catch my dreams before decay

I hold my delicate Ginkgo leaves
In great esteem & with calm focus

Tracing their veins, following their contours
Giving each leaf its due attention

Serenity & subtle strength
Remain hidden within her foliage

Quiet hope yearns to break free,
As I reflect upon the promise of my Ginkgo Tree

I tilt upwards to feel speckled warmth
I peer through the branches from which my dreams grow

My Ginkgo is a loyal & generous friend
She offers humble shelter under her vast canopy

On days that blister,
Her stark shadow provides cool respite

She catches frigid drops
For fear that I might shiver

My Ginkgo is proud & confident
She boasts & glows with hues of gold

Her leaves fall endlessly
& blanket my wounded soul

I rest upon her sturdy bark
Counting her ancient tokens

I cherish & give thanks for her many gifts
We pause & breathe together

My weary eyes slowly seep
Beneath the Ginkgo Tree, I dream

No comments: