Friday, May 13, 2011

PERSONAL PROJECTS



My personal mantra these days 
~ Be in Flow ~  Breathe, Be Gentle, & Share



   


Climb OnTM Playing Cards
I rock climb and I love playing card games, especially Euchre, so it is no surprise
that these two passions would eventually merge.
I designed my playing cards in the shape of a carabiner. 

The deck is divided into the following theme-inspired suits:
- Mountaineering
- Ice-Climbing
- Traditional / Sport
- Bouldering

Instead of the traditional suit icons of Club, Spade, Diamond, and Heart, my deck has icons depicting Crampon, Ice Pic, Camelot, and Climbing Shoe. Each corresponds with the aformentioned theme-inspired suits.

The suits are then divided into four more categories:
- renown climbing destinations (Ace)
- renown climbers (K-J)
- rock climbing terms (10-5)
- rock climbing gear (4-1)
Imagery of a cloudy sky indicates Weather and is used to depict The Wild Card.

This project was tremendous fun, but ironically kept me from actually climbing or playing cards. I also designed and constructed a box to hold the deck of cards. Finally, the cards have a clear polyurethane finish so that they can actually be used.

"Climb On" is a common command communicated between the climber and the belayer prior to climbing.